JIM reviews film "AWAY WE GO" -- There’s a Function in dealing with the DYS-function-al!

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly versionE-mail page to friendE-mail page to friendPDF versionPDF version
No votes yet

AWAY WE GO” — There’s a Function in dealing with the DYS-function-al!

Rating: 8 of 10 stars (based on an advance screening)

Life has become increasingly difficult for dorky insurance-seller Burt (JOHN KRASINSKI) when his live-in girlfriend Verona (MAYA RUDOLPH) becomes pregnant & they can’t afford a decent apartment. They start to seek out comforting surroundings where they could temporarily live to raise a kid— but PROBLEMS keep arising when they go away to visit relatives & friends around the U.S. & Canada who they think might be supportive and a good influence. People & places are not as they ‘remember’ them or the way they hoped they’d be. What they expect often turns inside out as they start to see the quirky, kooky & periodically confused & difficult lives of folks they thought they could rely on (including people played by a supporting cast including JEFF DANIELS, CATHERINE O’HARA, MAGGIE GYLLENHAAL, ALLISON JANNEY, JIM GAFFIGAN, PAUL SCHNEIDER & others). This is one of those rare CLEVER, WELL-WRITTEN films— so ‘true’ & good (especially in reminding me of certain types of people I myself have known), it makes the story and very well-acted characters BELIEVABLE in their humorous dysfunctionality & attempts to get on with their lives.

User Login

Free Giveaway Mailing

TV, DVD, BLU-RAY & THEATER REVIEWS

• Joe Turner's Come and Gone Goodman Theatre

CHICAGO – The late playwright August Wilson left a gift to the world in the form of his “American Century Cycle,” a series of plays each individually set in a decade of the 20th Century, focusing on the black experience. Chicago’s Goodman Theatre presents Wilson’s “Joe Turner’s Come and Gone,” now through May 19th, 2024 (click here).

• Manhunt

CHICAGO – Patrick McDonald of HollywoodChicago.com appears on “The Morning Mess” with Dan Baker on WBGR-FM (Monroe, Wisconsin) on March 21st, 2024, reviewing the new streaming series “Manhunt” – based on the bestseller by James L. Swanson – currently streaming on Apple TV+.

Advertisement

HollywoodChicago.com on Twitter

archive

HollywoodChicago.com Top Ten Discussions
referendum
tracker