JIM reviews film "DINNER FOR SCHMUCKS"

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly versionE-mail page to friendE-mail page to friendPDF versionPDF version
No votes yet

DINNER FOR SCHMUCKS

MPAA Rating: PG-13

MY rating: 9 stars (of a possible 10, based on an advance screening).

ATTENDANCE at this Dinner is Mandatory for Comedy Lovers

In 1998, Francis Veber wrote & directed a French farce called “The Dinner Game (Le diner de cons)”. This film is called an “adaptation” of that idea, & I found it exceptionally funny and well-done:

… Tim (played by PAUL RUDD) is an eager-beaver at a “rodent-infested” Financial advisory firm filled with RATS who tend to back-stab anyone that might affect their future income. His boss at the Fender company (BRUCE GREENWOOD) enjoys playing with peoples’ lives and putting-down the many “lesser” creatures he finds scurrying around his rich-mens’ world…

… To try to win a highly-coveted promotion which he feels will entice his love Julie (STEPHANIE SZOSTACK) to finally accept his marriage proposal, Paul tells Bruce his idea to try to win-over a rich new Swiss client named Müeller (DAVID WALLIAMS)…

… Before he agrees that’s a good idea, Bruce wants Paul to further “PROVE” himself worthy of an upper-level job by attending a dinner in which he brings a guest that will impress the others as being the biggest IDIOT (schmuck) at the gathering. In other words, he & his cohorts want people they can make FUN of in their superior way, & the guy who brings the biggest “loser” to the dinner will be the biggest “WINNER” of the evening (& thus likely to “move on up” at the company)…

… Paul chances to “run across” a very ECCENTRIC IRS employee named Barry (STEVE CARELL) whose hobby is creating fanciful human-like diorama / vignettes utilizing taxidermied MICE posed in charming but strange ways…

… His girlfriend Julie wants to “curate” shows for outlandish artist Kieran Vollard (JEMAINE CLEMENT), & she is very much TURNED-OFF by the idea that Paul would stoop so low as to trick someone (namely, Steve) to attend the planned dinner at Bruce’s…

… Paul finds that, while Steve is sort of “RIGHT” for being his guest at Bruce’s party, he’s not just off-center but decidedly WACKY in the ways he often goes about things in life. Steve (with no malice intended) chances to facilitate Paul’s being STALKED by a violent ex-lover named Darla (LUCY PUNCH), which causes additional upsets in Paul’s relationship with Stephanie (especially when Steve chances to get Paul involved with artist Jemaine)…

… Various other nutty characters enter the picture, such as Steve’s IRS boss, “Mind-control” guru Therman (ZACH GALIFIANAKIS), additional kinky guests brought to Bruce’s dinner by other company employees, etc….

… There’s an inspired NUTTINESS to it all, both during the main film & in a number of “postscript” comments “updating” you on things as the CREDITS roll. Unlike so many other American comedies nowadays, this one is NOT rife with constant sexual activity or gross-out comments. I found it to be a wonderfully well-played whimsical “commentary” on the “unusual” characters we at times meet upon life’s journey…

… Rather than being filled with “clever” lines, it’s more of a “slice-of-life” character-&-situation-driven hilarity, with exceptional performances by Steve (who has a “sweetness” to his goofiness) & Paul (who does another masterful job playing an understated “straight-man” as he did in “I Love You, Man”), with fine and funny work by those in the supporting cast…

… A number of people might find the whole story “silly”. But, I found it an often-brilliant piece of ensemble comic work, and I both enjoyed & respected the success in which they “pulled-off” the achievement…

User Login

Free Giveaway Mailing

TV, DVD, BLU-RAY & THEATER REVIEWS

• Manhunt

CHICAGO – Patrick McDonald of HollywoodChicago.com appears on “The Morning Mess” with Dan Baker on WBGR-FM (Monroe, Wisconsin) on March 21st, 2024, reviewing the new streaming series “Manhunt” – based on the bestseller by James L. Swanson – currently streaming on Apple TV+.

• Topdog/Underdog, Invictus Theatre

CHICAGO – When two brothers confront the sins of each other and it expands into a psychology of an entire race, it’s at a stage play found in Chicago’s Invictus Theatre Company production of “Topdog/Underdog,” now at their new home at the Windy City Playhouse through March 31st, 2024. Click TD/UD for tickets/info.

Advertisement

HollywoodChicago.com on Twitter

archive

HollywoodChicago.com Top Ten Discussions
tracker