JIM reviews film "THE ECLIPSE"

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly versionE-mail page to friendE-mail page to friendPDF versionPDF version
No votes yet

The Eclipse

MY Rating: 6.5 of 10 stars (based on an advance screening of the 88-minute film).

It Isn’t just the “moon or sun” that are OBSCURE here!…

It’s an exciting time in Cobh, Ireland: plans are underway for the annual Literary Festival!… Michael Farr (Ciarán Hinds) is a frustrated clandestine author who’s working to help out at the Fest by agreeing to give car rides to various of the visiting Writers, including Nicholas Holden (Aidan Quinn, in an unusual type role for him) & Lena Morelle (Iben Hjejle)…

… But Ciarán has a bunch of problems to contend with: he himself has become a widower (tho exactly what caused the death of his wife Eleanore is somewhat unclear), and he must care for his 14-year old daughter (Hannah Lynch) & 11-year-old son (Eanna Hardwicke) by himself….

… Actually, Hannah at times seem to try to care for Ciarán, since she sees he’s periodically troubled— tho we’re not sure if she understands it’s partly because he thinks he’s seeing GHOSTS at times… He seems very upset whenever he visits his increasingly-ill father-in-law Malachy (Jim Norton) in a nursing type home…

… As the story meanders, Ciarán eventually picks up Aidan— who turns out to be a very UNPLEASANT married guy who’s “secretly” lusting after Iben who apparently knows him from some past encounters… In time, Ciarán himself seems to grow fond of Iben…

… Will Ciarán eventually realize just WHAT seems to be “threatening” him (with images often involving dying & death)?… Will anything “happen” between him & Iben?… Will his KIDS turn out to be OK?…

… While the acting is “decent”, the often-maddening thing about this film is, almost NOTHING is clearly “RESOLVED”, despite the numerous “branches” that are set up… There is a definite “moodiness” (with scary hands regularly reaching “up” to try to grab Ciarán & the like), but it’s not particularly effective…

… Friends who saw this with me kept talking about how “slow-moving” & often BORING it was (to the point that one friend seemed to fall asleep during it)… I kept waiting for something “definitive” to happen… I’m STILL “waiting”!…

User Login

Free Giveaway Mailing

TV, DVD, BLU-RAY & THEATER REVIEWS

• Manhunt

CHICAGO – Patrick McDonald of HollywoodChicago.com appears on “The Morning Mess” with Dan Baker on WBGR-FM (Monroe, Wisconsin) on March 21st, 2024, reviewing the new streaming series “Manhunt” – based on the bestseller by James L. Swanson – currently streaming on Apple TV+.

• Topdog/Underdog, Invictus Theatre

CHICAGO – When two brothers confront the sins of each other and it expands into a psychology of an entire race, it’s at a stage play found in Chicago’s Invictus Theatre Company production of “Topdog/Underdog,” now at their new home at the Windy City Playhouse through March 31st, 2024. Click TD/UD for tickets/info.

Advertisement

HollywoodChicago.com on Twitter

archive

HollywoodChicago.com Top Ten Discussions
referendum
tracker