IMPROVED! Discussion Forums Run Slow/Double Post

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly versionE-mail page to friendE-mail page to friendPDF versionPDF version
No votes yet

Some of the forums and especially the heavily discussed threads take a ridicilous amount of time to load. Sometimes they double post comments as well.

HollywoodChicago.com's picture

10 comments per page a vast improvement / Easier commenting

Yes, I just clicked around the site and the 10 comments per page switch is a vast speed improvement. You’ll especially notice it on the massive Johnny Depp/”Public Enemies” thread. See what I mean?

I also just made another switch that I think is really helpful. Instead of clicking a link to reply and having to reload the page, I now have the comment form on the first page you see so you can comment right there and then without having to reload the page. See what I mean?

You still have to click “reply” to reply to a specific post, but if you’re just making a comment overall and not replying to a specific post, you can just use the comment form that now appears in advance without having to reload the page.

HollywoodChicago.com's picture

Options to improve speed...

Yeah. You’re referring to the massive Johnny Depp/”Public Enemies” thread. That thread is so large it is slow to load.

We could force the forums to display the “subject” lines only without the body of the content. The pages most certainly would load more quickly, but the downside is you’d have to click each individual “subject” in order to read it.

I could force that to happen across the site and you can individually customize that in your login by adjusting the “Comment viewing options” at the bottom of a thread. Change “Threaded list - expanded” to “Threaded list - collapsed” and you’ll see what I mean.

But the best solution here, I think, is to change “90 comments per page” to “10 comments per page” across the site. Then each page will load more quickly and you’ll still get to see the full content without having to click each subject line to read it. I’ve just made that change across the site.

As for the double posting, I have noticed that as well and am not quite sure why. It might be related to the speed issue where it’s taking a while and they think they need to post it again.

User Login

Free Giveaway Mailing

TV, DVD, BLU-RAY & THEATER REVIEWS

• Manhunt

CHICAGO – Patrick McDonald of HollywoodChicago.com appears on “The Morning Mess” with Dan Baker on WBGR-FM (Monroe, Wisconsin) on March 21st, 2024, reviewing the new streaming series “Manhunt” – based on the bestseller by James L. Swanson – currently streaming on Apple TV+.

• Topdog/Underdog, Invictus Theatre

CHICAGO – When two brothers confront the sins of each other and it expands into a psychology of an entire race, it’s at a stage play found in Chicago’s Invictus Theatre Company production of “Topdog/Underdog,” now at their new home at the Windy City Playhouse through March 31st, 2024. Click TD/UD for tickets/info.

Advertisement

HollywoodChicago.com on Twitter

archive

HollywoodChicago.com Top Ten Discussions
referendum
tracker