CHICAGO – If you’ve ever wondered what the difference is between a director and a producer, let “47 Ronin” explain how the hierarchy of creativity hinders the evolution of even the most straightforward-sounding pitches. “47 Ronin” is the type of samurai movie set in Japan that features native actors speaking only English, while Keanu Reeves stars as an outsider clearly plunked into the picture for stateside star power.
Slideshow: 9-Photo First Look on ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ Set
CHICAGO – Summer is continuing to heat up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, as the first images of on-set filming for the highly anticipated “The Dark Knight Rises” has emerged. The third film after “Batman Begins” and “The Dark Knight” again features Christian Bale as The Batman and is directed by Christopher Nolan.
Returning with Bale on this film are Liam Neeson as Ra’s Al Ghul, Gary Oldman as Commissioner Gordon, Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox and Michael Caine as ever-faithful butler Alfred Pennyworth. New members of the cast included Anne Hathaway as Catwoman, Joseph Gordon-Levitt as John Blake and Marion Cotillard as Miranda Tate. Filming will continue in Pittsburgh throughout the summer.
Click “Next” and “Previous” to scan through the slideshow or jump directly to individual photos with the captioned links below. All photos are by Jared Wickerham for Getty Images.
- TDKR1: Christian Bale as The Batman in ‘The Dark Knight Rises’
- TDKR2: Bale fights the villain named Bane, played by Tom Hardy.
- TDKR3: Marion Cotillard joins the cast of ‘The Dark Knight Rises’
- TDKR4: Director Christopher Nolan frames the shot in “The Dark Knight Rises’
- TDKR5: One of the many Batmobiles on the set.
- TDKR6: Bale and Hardy again slug it out in ‘The Dark Knight Rises’
- TDKR7: Tom Hardy as Bane, said to be the main villain in ‘The Dark Knight Rises’
- TDKR8: The Batman’s motorcycle, which may be in violation of parking ordinances.
- TDKR9: Marion Cotillard again is seen on set in ‘The Dark Knight Rises’