Jim sends a report concerning preview of "WATCHMEN"

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly versionE-mail page to friendE-mail page to friendPDF versionPDF version
No votes yet

I am herewith transmitting a report provided by an associate concerning yesterday’s advance preview in Chicago of the highly anticipated film “WATCHMEN”.

Overall, it came across as a badly “MIS-MANAGED” event: Passes were offered thru at least 2 different major venues (a newspaper, a mobile phone-services operation, etc.), & it was clear from the huge number of people in line that it was vastly OVERBOOKED for the one theater being used. Compared to the “typical” crowd for such previews, there were far more “20-something” people in line than usual (probably largely due to the graphic – novel / comic book appeal of the subject)…

… Normally, there are 2 or 3 rows taped off inside the theater as “Reserved” for the Press & special guests— but like 6 rows were blocked off for this (leaving less room than usual for the “regular” public). The 163 minute film was to start at a comparatively late 8 PM— but supposedly due to a problem getting the film PRINT in, it didn’t start until like 9 PM (making for a very late nite). It was especially disappointing that there was very little clear COMMUNICATION with the audience about the various problems (re the delays, etc.). My associate was impressed by the SPECIAL EFFECTS in the film— but wasn’t especially overwhelmed by the movie as a whole…

HollywoodChicago.com's picture

Buzz kill..

So, so disappointing.

italkfilm's picture

The torture

After waiting in line that long to save a seat. Then to be told that the reels had not made it yet, and warner bros. was working on it . I know complaining does not solve anything. Unfortunately, half the people in the theater were sleeping after this setback, at least sitting around me . I really wanted to enjoy this film, but it seemed to almost flat line through the whole film, all three hours.

http://www.italkfilm.com

User Login

Free Giveaway Mailing

TV, DVD, BLU-RAY & THEATER REVIEWS

• Manhunt

CHICAGO – Patrick McDonald of HollywoodChicago.com appears on “The Morning Mess” with Dan Baker on WBGR-FM (Monroe, Wisconsin) on March 21st, 2024, reviewing the new streaming series “Manhunt” – based on the bestseller by James L. Swanson – currently streaming on Apple TV+.

• Topdog/Underdog, Invictus Theatre

CHICAGO – When two brothers confront the sins of each other and it expands into a psychology of an entire race, it’s at a stage play found in Chicago’s Invictus Theatre Company production of “Topdog/Underdog,” now at their new home at the Windy City Playhouse through March 31st, 2024. Click TD/UD for tickets/info.

Advertisement

HollywoodChicago.com on Twitter

archive

HollywoodChicago.com Top Ten Discussions
referendum
tracker