Jim's Review of “TWO LOVERS” – Actually 4, & most of them are CONFUSED! =

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly versionE-mail page to friendE-mail page to friendPDF versionPDF version
No votes yet

(Based on an advance preview:) The synopsis I read didn’t give me a very favorable anticipation of this— but it was considerably BETTER than expected. JOAQUIN PHOENIX (in purportedly the “last” acting role he’ll agree to do) plays a troubled (seemingly bi-polar type) guy in NY who’s looking for a new love in life as he lives at home with somewhat “hovering” parents (ISABELLA ROSSELLINI & MONI MOSHONOV) whom he works for. His Dad’s friend has a daughter (VINESSA SHAW) who seems to fall for him— but he’s attracted to a neighbor woman (GWYNETH PALTROW) who has drug problems and is involved with a married guy (which causes Joaquin to almost stalk her at times). There are a surprising number of humorous little incidents weaved into the film as Joaquin (who does a FINE job) flips back & forth between the women in his life. I found a number of twists in this frequently believable (but sometimes sad) story. Overall, it’s a well done (even if not great) melodrama about often-befuddled relationships. Rating: 4 of 5 stars.

User Login

Free Giveaway Mailing

TV, DVD, BLU-RAY & THEATER REVIEWS

• Manhunt

CHICAGO – Patrick McDonald of HollywoodChicago.com appears on “The Morning Mess” with Dan Baker on WBGR-FM (Monroe, Wisconsin) on March 21st, 2024, reviewing the new streaming series “Manhunt” – based on the bestseller by James L. Swanson – currently streaming on Apple TV+.

• Topdog/Underdog, Invictus Theatre

CHICAGO – When two brothers confront the sins of each other and it expands into a psychology of an entire race, it’s at a stage play found in Chicago’s Invictus Theatre Company production of “Topdog/Underdog,” now at their new home at the Windy City Playhouse through March 31st, 2024. Click TD/UD for tickets/info.

Advertisement

HollywoodChicago.com on Twitter

archive

HollywoodChicago.com Top Ten Discussions
referendum
tracker