Chicago Shakespeare Theater brings musical 'Willy Wonka' to Navy Pier from July 8 to Aug. 17, 2008

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly versionE-mail page to friendE-mail page to friendPDF versionPDF version
No votes yet

I just received the following press release.

Chicago Shakespeare Brings New Musical to Navy Pier: Roald Dahl’s Family Classic Willy Wonka From July 8 to August 17, 2008

Chicago—March 28, 2008—Chicago Shakespeare Theater on Navy Pier (CST) is transformed into the fantastical, music-filled world of a candy-maker’s chocolate factory for the new stage musical, Willy Wonka. Based on the 1971 musical film version of Roald Dahl’s classic children’s novel Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, CST’s production of Willy Wonka continues the Theater’s tradition of bringing family musicals to Navy Pier all summer long. Tickets are on sale now and can be purchased by calling Chicago Shakespeare Theater’s Box Office at 312.595.5600 or by visiting the Theater’s website at www.chicagoshakes.com/wonka.

Chicago audiences of all ages follow the sweet-natured Charlie Bucket and four other golden ticket winners on a tour through Willy Wonka’s larger-than-life candy factory, where nothing is quite as it seems. This musical treat for the whole family features music and lyrics by Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley and such memorable songs as “The Candy Man,” “I Want It Now!” and “Pure Imagination.” Roald Dahl’s classic is brought to life on stage through theater magic and song in the first professional production of Willy Wonka since its development at The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. Willy Wonka is performed July 8 – August 17, 2008 in CST’s Courtyard Theater and is recommended for ages five and up. Tickets are $18 for children (12 and younger), and $23 for adults.

Chicago Shakespeare Theater welcomes Harris Bank as a production sponsor of Willy Wonka. In announcing the partnership with CST, Brad Ballast, Harris Bank Managing Director – Community Affairs, commented, “Harris is proud to sponsor Willy Wonka at Chicago Shakespeare Theater. We welcome the opportunity to support high quality family programming that reaches countless parents and children during the busy summer months on Navy Pier.”

The work of veteran director Joe Leonardo has been seen throughout the United States and London. He has directed national tours of The Mystery of Edwin Drood, Me and My Girl, Ziegfeld: A Night at the Follies, City of Angels and Kiss Me, Kate. Other directing credits include the 2006 Reprise! production of City of Angels in Los Angeles; Man with a Load of Mischief in New York; It’s Better with a Band in New York, London and Philadelphia; and the premiere of the musical At Wit’s End at Florida Stage. In Chicago, the five-time Jeff Award nominated director has worked with several Chicago area theaters including Northlight and Marriott Theatre in Lincolnshire where his recent productions include Little Women, State Fair, Brigadoon and Sunset Boulevard.

“Magic plays an important role in Willy Wonka—audiences are sure to be surprised and mesmerized,” according to director Joe Leonardo. “When the different worlds of the Golden Ticket winners collide, it will be something akin to arriving in Emerald City. Our production is sure to be larger than life—something for the entire family.”

Candy-maker Willy Wonka is brought to life by Sean Fortunato, currently in Chicago Shakespeare’s The Comedy of Errors. CST newcomer Patrick Andrews—seen in American Theater Company’s production of Speech & Debate—is featured as young Charlie Bucket. The cast of Willy Wonka is completed by Melanie Brezill as Violet Beauregarde; Mark David Kaplan as Grandpa Joe and Phineous Trout; Jessie Mueller as Veruca Salt; Paula Scrofano as Mrs. Bucket and Mrs. Gloop; Travis Turner as Mike Teavee and George Andrew Wolff as Augustus Gloop.

The fantastical world of Willy Wonka is imaginatively recreated by choreographer Stacey Flaster; set designer Alan Edward Schwanke; lighting designer Diane Ferry Williams; costume designer Alison Siple; sound designer James Savage; puppet designer Meredith Miller; and wigs and make-up designer Melissa Veal. Additionally, Linda Slein will serve as Music Director with Doug Peck as Music Supervisor.

Willy Wonka is recommended for ages 5 and up. Performances are at 11:00 a.m. (Tuesday, July 8 only); 11:00 a.m. (Wednesday – Thursday); 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. (Friday); 11:00 a.m., 2:00 and 7:00 p.m. (Saturday); and 2:00 p.m. (Sunday). Tickets are $18 for children (12 and younger), and $23 for adults. For further information on Chicago Shakespeare Theater productions and to purchase tickets, call the Box Office at 312.595.5600 or visit the Theater’s website at www.chicagoshakes.com.

Willy Wonka Production Sponsor: Harris Bank
American Airlines is the official airline of Chicago Shakespeare Theater.
ComEd is the official lighting design sponsor of Chicago Shakespeare Theater.
Artistic productions in the Courtyard Theater are supported, in part, through a generous grant from the McCormick Foundation.

HollywoodChicago.com's picture

HollywoodChicago.com critic Alissa Norby reviews 'Willy Wonka'

HollywoodChicago.com theater critic Alissa Norby wrote in her 4.0 out of 5.0 review of the new Chicago play “Willy Wonka”:

“The Chicago Shakespeare Theater has mounted a delectable stage adaptation of ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’ called ‘Willy Wonka’. It’s a musical that’s sure to entice and satiate even the bitterest of audiences. Fans of both Roald Dahl’s original children’s novel and the classic film will revel in this piece.”

Read the full review here.

Tom Pakson's picture

GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

This show was very cute funny and worth wild to see! I loved the actors and how they were always right for the roles! It was hilarous and breath taking!!!! It was mine and my nephew, Grant, 9 loved it, hope you see it! Tom Pakson, 36, Chicago, IL

Rick Doyle's picture

ENTERTANING!!!!!!!!!!

WinkThis play made my children, whom are 8 and 5 talk about how fun and great this play was. They couldn’t take their eyes off the beautiful setts or the funny actor’s! I would say this play should get a 9 of 10 stars. It made good sense had wonderful actors and was just plain fun! From 3 year olds to 13 year olds this play will be enjoyable and enteraning!!!!!!!!!!! Rick Mitchel Doyle 37, Long Grove, IL

Madison Lindin's picture

IT WAS GREAT

Willy wonka at navy pier was the highlight of my trip to chicago. When the music started playing and the as the story went on my friends childrens faces were gleaming with smiles, the play is very good and the actor/actress are all perfect for their parts. The story is a bit different but it’s such a good cute exciting play. BUY TICKETS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maddie Lindin
29, Brooklyn, NY

User Login

Free Giveaway Mailing

TV, DVD, BLU-RAY & THEATER REVIEWS

• Manhunt

CHICAGO – Patrick McDonald of HollywoodChicago.com appears on “The Morning Mess” with Dan Baker on WBGR-FM (Monroe, Wisconsin) on March 21st, 2024, reviewing the new streaming series “Manhunt” – based on the bestseller by James L. Swanson – currently streaming on Apple TV+.

• Topdog/Underdog, Invictus Theatre

CHICAGO – When two brothers confront the sins of each other and it expands into a psychology of an entire race, it’s at a stage play found in Chicago’s Invictus Theatre Company production of “Topdog/Underdog,” now at their new home at the Windy City Playhouse through March 31st, 2024. Click TD/UD for tickets/info.

Advertisement

HollywoodChicago.com on Twitter

archive

HollywoodChicago.com Top Ten Discussions
tracker