Chicago filmmaker: Ben Byer, 'Indestructible'

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly versionE-mail page to friendE-mail page to friendPDF versionPDF version
No votes yet

Ben Byer is a Chicago filmmaker we recently learned about. Information about his film, “Indestructible” (which was just in the 2008 Lake County Film Festival), can be found here: http://www.indestructiblefilm.com

PatrickMcD's picture

My Review of "Indestructible"

This review appeared in my blog, www.myspace.com/tpmlastblog, after I saw it at the Midwest Independent Film Festival last October…

Because of my passion for film art, the universe often clicks by 24 frames at a time. And within the interaction with the projected image, there are times when a film maker’s soul touches mine, and can create new thoughts and energy for my own life. I was privileged to view a documentary film called Indestructible, and experienced through that screening a new definition for hope.

Director and Writer Ben Byers was 31 years old when he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, AKA Lou Gehrig’s Disease), the perplexing condition of neurological destruction that for now is a slow, painful path toward mortality. He began at that point to document his life on camera, and in the next three years he shows, through his body and mind, how the disease progresses. At the same time he interviews fellow ALS sufferers for their perspective, seeks the experts/healers/gurus to modify the symptoms and finally projects his own pure spirituality to illustrate all that is gained even when all seems lost.

It is a journey that takes him around the country, around the world and through the landscape of his own being. A woman with the disease in an overseas land wonders about his sadness. Doctors in China tout new therapies, which originates new expectations and opens new conflicts (both within himself and his family). He shines a light on a religion he thought he’d lost, and found necessary guidance.

Towards the end of the film, there is a stunning switch to a pre-ALS Ben, speaking into a video camera about his future. He has the cocky, self assurance of vibrant youth and power. But there are some cracks in the facade, a frustration as to why nothing had happened to him up to that time. The counterpoint of the intervening years strangely answers his frustrations, albeit in a way his younger self could never anticipate, but as poignant and profound as the gift of life can be.

It would have been easy for Ben to fade away within the disease, but he chose to be a true artist and fight for his perspective to be shared. I learned a lesson not only in his courage and honesty in living with ALS, but also a lesson in his humanity, the meaning of being essentially alive every moment. Disease may alter Ben’s individual physicality, but his life force has a spiritual power that will alter us all.

Hank’s in a band! www.myspace.com/thetelepaths

HollywoodChicago.com's picture

...and on http://www.indestructiblefilm.com

It’s also here: http://www.indestructiblefilm.com/pmcdonald.php

By the way, I couldn’t agree more with your review, Pat. The line from Ben Byer that got me the most in the film was something like:

Quote:
I wish this film didn’t have to be about my disease. Now that would be talent.

By the way, though doctors throughout the film gave him “two to five years,” he’s now on year six. While he can no longer speak or use his hands, he signs autographs with his feet. He was at the Lake County Film Festival on Sunday, but I decided not to meet him.

User Login

Free Giveaway Mailing

TV, DVD, BLU-RAY & THEATER REVIEWS

• Manhunt

CHICAGO – Patrick McDonald of HollywoodChicago.com appears on “The Morning Mess” with Dan Baker on WBGR-FM (Monroe, Wisconsin) on March 21st, 2024, reviewing the new streaming series “Manhunt” – based on the bestseller by James L. Swanson – currently streaming on Apple TV+.

• Topdog/Underdog, Invictus Theatre

CHICAGO – When two brothers confront the sins of each other and it expands into a psychology of an entire race, it’s at a stage play found in Chicago’s Invictus Theatre Company production of “Topdog/Underdog,” now at their new home at the Windy City Playhouse through March 31st, 2024. Click TD/UD for tickets/info.

Advertisement

HollywoodChicago.com on Twitter

archive

HollywoodChicago.com Top Ten Discussions
referendum
tracker